Sabrent FAN-NTP3 Notebook Cooler
There seems to be a lot of mixed feelings regarding the Sabrent FAN-NTP3 Business Notebook Cooler Pad. The pros and cons of this laptop cooling pad is about 50/50 so before purchasing you are going to need to look closely at what features would benefit you the most.
Primarily designed as a cooler pad, the Sabrent FAN-NTP3 does a pretty good job of cooling most laptops and notebooks. It has three built-in 60 mm fans spaced out in an upside down triangle formation. Two are placed high up on either corner and the third is smack in the middle at the halfway mark.
Most laptops have their hot spots around the top half of the unit. This laptop cooler has its three fans around that area and so you can rest assured that a fair bit of thermal heat dissipation will take place. This can prevent all sorts of undesired symptoms caused by overheating, such as, locked programs, crashing or damaging the hard drive.
The 3 fans will push the heat away from your laptop at a rate of 3000 RPM, producing 30 CFM of airflow. Hot air is sucked in from the bottom of the laptop and exhausted through the opening on the rear.
The underside of the Sabrent unit
You may think that with three fans working away this Sabrent FAN-NTP3 Business Notebook Cooler Pad must sound like you have a jet airplane doing a test run over your home! Actually, you will be surprised to know that these fans are so quiet that you wouldn’t know if they were on or off without noticing the three green LED lights indicating that fans are on working status. For many of us this will be a major advantage as it can take up a fair bit of time hunting around for a cooler with silent fans; there aren’t that many around.
This is an ultra light unit weighing in at only 1.2lbs with around half an inch thickness making it easy for those who travel. Having said that I must stress that if you do travel with the Sabrent FAN-NTP3 Notebook Cooler you may find that laying the pad on your lap while working may not be as comfortable as you would like.
What I mean is the underside of the unit is actually open and could be a big inconvenience if you don’t have a flat or sturdy surface base to lay it on before placing it on your lap. This is a little disappointing especially seeing as the unit does such a great job of keeping your laptop/notebook cool. It is essentially a vented aluminum tray with fans attached to the bottom. Maybe it had to be designed that way in order to get such a great air flow; I don’t know.
Sabrent FAN-NTP3 Laptop Cooling Pad
This is a pretty big disadvantage for those who like to work from their lap or place their laptops on cushions or on the duvet etc. Of course all of this is possible but you will just have to find a flat surface to lay the Sabrent on before you put the whole thing on your lap. Could be a lot of messing around.
Anyway, as you continue reading you will find that the unit does have a lot of pros and for the price you can’t really expect the thing to be perfect. It does do what it is supposed to which is cool a laptop/notebook down and so anything else is pretty much a bonus.
- Front fan On/Off switch for easy access
- 3 quiet fans for quick heat dissipation.
- Powered by USB bus, No additional AC adapter is needed.
- Light weight (1 Pound), and with only 0.5? (14mm) of thickness, easy to carry
- Speed: 3000 RPM
- Easy to carry.
- No additional AC adapter is needed.
- 3 Green LED indicator to help detect fan failure or malfunction
Dimension: 11.8? x 9.1? x 0.55? ( 30 x 23 x 1.4cm )
Material: Plastic with a groove lined surface
Compatibility: Supports all 14? – 15? laptops and up to 17?
Fan Size: 60mm
Fan Speed: 3000 RPM
Fan Noise: Level (dB-A) 21 dBA
Air Flow: 30 CFM
Rated Voltage: 5V DC
Pros and Cons
- The Sabrent FAN-NTP3 does a great job of cooling the computer.
- Is USB powered. This will allow for a more uncluttered work surface.
- The fans are amazingly quiet. Great for anyone who likes peace when they work or for those of you who use the library a lot.
- Has non-skid pads to keep it from sliding around on smooth surfaces.
- There is an on/off switch at the front allowing you to turn the unit on or off independent of the laptop and without having to pull the USB cord out of its port.
- The slight upward tilt helps make typing that much more comfortable.
- Its minimalistic design makes it simple to repair or customize as needed.
- Has a low price tag.
- Sabrent FAN-NTP3 has an open underside which could limit the cooler’s portability since extra care has to be taken to ensure the fans’ wires aren’t damaged.
- Also, because the underside is open it may make working on your lap difficult. It needs a flat surface to lay on otherwise the fans will be obstructed by your thighs or whatever uneven surface you place it on.
- It is a little curved from the bottom which makes it a bit uncomfortable on the lap.
- For some the USB cord may be too long. Although you can always neaten it up by folding and placing an elastic band around it.
- Watch out for any loose wiring underneath due to the open underside.
- There is no USB hub on the unit. So essentially you will use up a USB port to run the unit but won’t have a replacement port available.
“I got two of these, one used with a Mac-book (nice fit), and used with a MacBook Pro which is 3-4 inches wider than the Sabrent. It cools both nicely, especially the Pro which can get really hot. It keeps it very cool to the touch (not just warm). It’s so quiet that I usually forget to turn the Sabrent off.
It has 3 fans and costs the same or less than other models that have only two fans. It also tilts the laptop up slightly, and has non-skid “feet” to keep it from sliding around on smooth surfaces. I just got another one for my daughter, and though I can’t speak for other brands, I’d recommend this brand.”
By Michelle Boyer
“I couldn’t imagine spending too much money on a laptop cooler pad. I’ve never seen one in all my days that was not cheaply made. This one here is a simple design and is about as well done as they can come. Three quiet and powerful fans mounted to a single piece of metal. I can’t suggest this fan is portable at all, but for home use, this is perfect.
It is not portable due to the exposed back end of the pad. The thing to keep in mind is how much more effective that open system made this pad. The ventilation was big time, and after running a massive game off my laptop for a few hours, the battery and everything were still cool to the touch.”
Check out review about: Syba Silent Giant SYNBK 68003