Notepal X2 Cooler
When the Cooler Master Notepal X2 Notebook Cooler was created it seems as though the designers wanted something that had optimal comfort, efficient functions and a unique silent running.
Yes, the Cooler Master company not only creates cases and desktop components but also has ventured into the world of laptop cooling as well.
Modeled after the Cooler Master Notepal X1 the new upgraded Notepal X2 is an improvement on an already successful design. Much like its predecessor this notebook cooling pad has a unique body almost in the shape of an ‘X’ but more closer to an `H´ shape. Both shape styles do actually contribute to cooling performance so the unusual design wasn’t just for aesthetic purposes.
The shape has been purposely designed to enhance the cooling performance
and certainly alters the air flow patterns. While using the Cooler Master Notepal X2 you will notice large amounts of air flowing from the sides of the laptop/notepad. As most of the heat originates at the back of a laptop/notebook most cooling systems are usually located in one of the back corners. With the `X´ shape there is room for air to circumvent the corners where cooling is most critical.
X2 Cooler Turned Off
A laptop CPU can generate high temperatures and the internal cooling system of any laptop/notebook is never really enough to dissipate the trapped heat inside. Enter the Notepal X2 which will help cool any notebook down by taking air from a bottom intake with its fan.
The cooler pad centralized fan is 140mm in dimension and has 11 curved blades providing great volumes of air. The new larger dimension is an upgrade from the 120mm fan used in the NotePal X1.
Notepal X2 Legs
The fan can be toggled on and off and you will find that it is pretty quiet, (depending on whether you are in a library or an airport!), and even on high speed is fairly acceptable. If things do get a little loud you do have the option of lowering the RPM by turning the RPM knob. It can be adjusted from 700 to 1400 RPM.
The construction and materials, (plastic and metal mesh), of the Logitech X2 seem to offer more of an extremely light notebook cooler rather than a very durable unit. How you look at it depends on what area is more important to you. Do you want a light weight unit at the expense of durability?
Cooler Master X2 Airflow
If you travel around a lot and take the Cooler Master Notepal X2 with you then take into consideration that it wouldn’t take much of hit to put a dent in the front metal mesh of the unit. Also the plastic body seems a little soft and rigid and may be prone to cracking.
On the other hand, the profile is sleek without any protuberances making it easy to pack away safely or carry by your side.
The metal grating itself does more than just allow air to slip through. It does in fact act as a radiator fin, the thinner the better, and conducts heat to the edges where it can be cooled.
Cooler Master X2 Airflow
As additional little features that can make a huge difference to the user the Cooler Master Notepal X2 Cooler has two plastic/rubber feet at the back that flip out to change its working angle of the. The large rubber feet provided excellent traction. Now you can move around without the fear of your laptop sliding off.
There is a subtle, subdued LED lighting system that stays on throughout making the notebook cooler pad noticeable even in bright conditions. A very good feature for those who like to work on the floor or on a couch. You never know who might come along and accidently kick the unit!
- Ergonomic Design
- Two different height settings for improved comfort.
- Special Heat Dissipation
specially designed bottom intake and thermally enhanced metal mesh allow for fast and efficient dissipation.
- Optimal Airflow.
- Built-in silent 140mm fan placed in strategic location creates optimal airflow for comprehensive cooling.
- Accommodates up to 17” notebooks.
- Fan speed control.
- Blue Led.
- Blue LED shines through the center mesh when notebook cooler is powered on.
Dimension: 375 x 290 x 42mm; 14.76 x 11.42 x 1.7 inches
Weight: 900g; 1.98lbs
Material: Plastic and Metal Mesh
Compatibility: Supports all 14? – 15? laptops and up to 17?
Fan Dimension: 140 x 140 x 15mm
Fan Speed: 700 – 1400 RPM
Fan Noise: Level (dB-A) 15 dBA (Min.)
USB Port: USB 2.0 / 1.1 x 2 ( Input x 1; Output x 1 )
Rated Voltage: 5V DC
Pros and Cons
- The fan is reasonably quiet.
- The profile is sleek without any protuberances making it easy to stuff in a bag, or sling along.
- Adjustable RPM dial, a perfect addition for anyone who likes to be in control of the fan speed.
- LED lighting for safety.
- Low power consumption.
- Is exceptionally easy to transport.
- Has two USB ports.
- A good quality requisite USB cable is provided to power the NotePal X2.
- Blows air up onto the bottom of the laptop to keep it and your thighs cool.
- Has a very comfortable elevation. There are two adjustment heights.
- The X2 is advertised to support a laptop of up to 17?.
- Has an aluminium grate for improved air flow.
- The rubber on the legs prevent sliding.
- Its unique design provides greater airflow and its intake is suitable for any use whether it be on your lap, the floor, on cushions, on a desk, etc.
- While the fan doesn’t blow a huge amount of air from the laptop cooler, it does blow out enough air to keep the laptop’s temps lower than without it.
- Fan is louder at high speed but not so much that it is a bother.
- Can be susceptible to damage
- Has a Low flow rate
- All the controls are in the back right corner of the unit.
- The LED cannot be turned off.
“This laptop cooler does a great job and the fan is VERY quiet.
This laptop fan blows air up onto the bottom of the laptop to keep it cool. While the fan doesn’t blow a huge amount of air from the laptop cooler, it does blow out enough air to keep the laptop’s temps lower than without it.
We used HWMonitor (a free program you can find on the web) to monitor the laptop temps. We notice a 7c to 9c temp drop of the CPU and a 6c temp drop of the hard drive.
Well worth the money.”
By Studio One Productions
“Unbelievable difference in temp!
My older HP was getting very hot to the touch on the top and bottom of the processor, my internal fan was running all the time, not any more.
My laptop stays on all day, I am an artist and have several programs running at the same time. I use a larger battery so I was concerned about the ergonomic design (elevation), it’s very comfortable, fits my 15? laptop just perfect.
The plastic seems very durable, and I appreciate the aluminum screen (grate) for its great air flow, the fan does blow up onto the bottom of the laptop. No sliding problem with the rubber feet on the bottom of my laptop.
Really quiet fan, even when I keep it on high.
I would highly recommend this product.”
By Rebecca Beal
Check out review about: Kensington Lift-Off Notebook Cooler